• LOGIN
  • No products in the cart.

Photo Contest: New Mexico Calendar 2017

Forums Photography Forums Photo Contests Photo Contest: New Mexico Calendar 2017

• Author

Admin
    Keymaster

: This is a free annual photo contest for the NM State Employees Credit Union calendar with a due date May 10th 2016. Please submit your images for the contest not later than the due date by uploading into the folder NM 2017 Calendar.

Each of the 12 winning images will receive a photo credit (printed on 6,500 calendars), plus $25.00 for each photo. You’ll be able to pick up a hard copy of the calendar at any Credit Union office in NM after January 1st 2017.

The contest is supported by Isigma Photo.By registering you will receive +100 Reward point () just for participating the contest, or +500 for being selected as a winner. In addition all the winning images will be displayed at the Isigma Photo homepage in June-July 2016.

Please register for the contest in the sidebar event to the right.
    To have your images reviewed, upload them below with a short intro one per post. Limit the size to 1000px/700kB.

Contest rules and restrictions:

• Images have to depict the beauty and authenticity of the New Mexico state in genres: nature, cityscape, people.

• Landscape orientation Letter size aspect ratio (11″ x 8.5″), no borders. Limit your images to 2000px long side.

• After uploading, add the location and the title in the Caption area below the image.

• Each photographer is limited to submit up to 10 own images. Extra images will be deleted.

• After the final selection the winner will send me images in full size, finished without added sharpening, or watermarks. Winners image formats: TIFF (no layers), PSD (no layers), JPG 100%.

Joanne
    Participant
    Reward Points: 1 060 RP

Submittals from Joanne Pratt

I am having difficulty uploading my imagesl Hope I have got them in the format you need for review. The titles of the first four are: The birds fly off ( The Bosque de Apache); Cowboy, Water nourishes the dry land, Beauty in the Pet Parace

Thanks,

Joanne

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Admin
    Keymaster

Sorry for your difficulties. The log is showing that you exceed the file size limit. I’ve changed the size limit from 515 to 700 kB. It should be more than enough to upload files up to 1000px.

Thank you for notifying about the problem.

Joanne
    Participant

Image Aspen 1

Title: Aspens in the fall

Attachments:

Joanne
    Participant

Titles of the 10 images sent in several replies:

Water nourishes the parched earth  (first image sent)
    Aspens (1)
    Skyride to the Aspens (2)
    Pretty lady at the Pet Parade (3)
    A glorious New Mexico day (4)
    Abiaque vistas

Tent rocks
    Cowboy
    Birthday in the park
    The birds wait for dawn to fly

Attachments:

Joanne
    Participant

Yes I am sure.

Attachments:

Igor Skibenko
    Reward Points: 5 540 RP

:

Lovely image! The light condition, the back-lit water, and the graphical machine – all came together. Just remember that the calendar uses Letter size cropping. I’ve attached my cropping suggestions.

Attachments:

Igor Skibenko

:

The subject is interesting, but because of the competition between the front plane bushes I’d exchange this image for another one. I’m sure you have them.

Igor Skibenko

::

Good images. Try to see if you still like them after cropping to 8.5×11, as they are tight to play with composition + they are 2×3 now.

Igor Skibenko

:

I do not see how this one relates to New Mexico.

Igor Skibenko

:

I love this one! Nice story. Different tools, different angles, they are staying in line for something 🙂

Anyway all your 2×3 images need to be cropped, so I cropped the right/bottom edges of this one to show that the cleaner image looks even better.

Thank you for your images!

Attachments:

Joanne
    Participant

I think I finally got this one down to size. Probably a lot of competitors for this shot since we were all standing side by side! Thanks for introducing me to the Bosque.

Yes, I finally found the size list under Aspect in LR.

Attachments:

Igor Skibenko

It is a good image, Joanne. I personally would consider the top birds to be either in ao out of the frame. Other then that it is a decent one.

BTW in your last uploads you added too much of Clarity or Contrast, and killed details in shadows. Take it easier 🙂

Go ahead and upload selected images to the meetup contest folder. When they are selected we’ll fine tune them.

Igor Skibenko

I do not see your photos in the Contest folder, which is here
    http://www.meetup.com/Adobe-Photoshop-Lessons/photos/26831148/

Igor Skibenko

There is no reason to upload your final images here. This forum is only for the pre contest reviews, and recommendations.

Please use the link in my previous reply to upload your contest images to the meetup.com contest folder. Credit Union representatives will be using that meetup folder for the contest selection!

John Strogg
    Participant
    Reward Points: 4 200 RP

Wall in Santa Fe

Attachments:

John Strogg
    Participant

Abiquiu village historical church

Attachments:

John Strogg
    Participant

Alamogordo main street signs. Could you suggest any better cropping, please?

Attachments:

John Strogg
    Participant

Abiquiu mountain range

Attachments:

John Strogg
    Participant

Wild West. Red River

Wild West. Bikers in Madrid

Attachments:

John Strogg
    Participant

Albuquerque Balloon Fest 1

Albuquerque Balloon Fest 2

Attachments:

Igor Skibenko

Wall in Santa Fe – good New Mexico authentic image. It’s near the place where I used to live. It is good that it was taken in winter, so there are no leaves, everything is concentrated on the picture.

Abiquiu mountain range, Wild West – good choice. Fits the calendar theme. No questions about cropping.

Abiquiu village historical church – I like the cropping. I also see the possibility to play with line repetition if it’s cropped even tighter, but then the church steps back (see my crop). The only thing is a missed spot in the sky coloring. There is a destructing yellow above the corner. You might fix it.

Attachments:

Igor Skibenko

Alamogordo main street signs. I see that this image has difficulties fitting into the Letter size format. It is probably more panoramic. I like the bottom one more, or try excluding more sky by cropping it (I used the top one as a reference). Do you have more elements that you’ve cropped already? That might work as well.

Attachments:

Igor Skibenko

Albuquerque Balloon Fest. I like your choice. It is not a standard balloon fiesta.

You did a good job on the negative space in all your images. Usually I ask to photograph wider, but in your case here my suggestions are all based on more cropping 🙂

I like three balloons on the second photo. The different scale of them reveals a big distance, and really shows how big they are (the car in front). Just to connect balloons even more, I’d suggest building a stronger diagonal from them, as in my crop below.

Thank you for the good images.

Attachments:

Brigitte
    Participant
    Reward Points: 730 RP

Anderson Overlook, Los Alamos, NM

Attachments:

Brigitte
    Participant

Courtyard Garden, Acequia Madre, SF

Attachments:

Brigitte
    Participant

Cumbres & Toltec RR

Attachments:

Brigitte
    Participant

Sluice Gate, Acequia Madre, SF

Attachments:

Brigitte
    Participant

Western Bluebird w/ Crabapple Blossoms

Attachments:

Brigitte
    Participant

Abandoned House, Bernardo,NM

Attachments:

Igor Skibenko

Nice images, Brigitte. Very ‘postcardy’, which fits well to the purpose of the contest. I do not even have much to say to improve these finished pieces. Still..

You interesting Sluice Gate, Acequia Madre, SF image from my opinion doesn’t work for the calendar. I just do not see that image in the general calendar. I’d suggest to trade it for a different one.

As much as I love your Abandoned House, Bernardo,NM photo I have to admit the ‘soft glow’ edges are looking dirty and ruin the impression. I’d recommend you, at least in the future, to try a different magic for the edges – the image will only benefit from it. Just simple soft vignetting may work. If you’re liking ghost like|blurry effects, try the Lens blur filter in Photoshop (you have to create an oval edge mask for it).

Thank you for your images!

Brigitte
    Participant

Thanks so much for the reply, Igor! I know it was late.
    I very much appreciate your suggestions! 🙂
    I’ve been very busy with a work project and had “forgotten” about the calendar deadline, until your email came.
    I am working on some other shots and will upload them to the contest page today.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© Isigma Photo. All rights reserved

Login

Register

FACEBOOKGOOGLECreate an Account